Setting up your VVX 411 to accept any headset is (in most cases) super easy.
Lets get started:
The Polycom VVX 411 IP phone will accept 3 different types of headset:
- Standard Wired Headset with an RJ9 square type jack
- Standard wired USB headset with a USB type A (the traditional larger USB plug)
- A wireless DECT headset + EHS lead or cable (otional for remote answering)
Note* – The Polycom VVX 411 does NOT accept bluetooth headsets!
We get asked a lot if you can just do a work around and simply just plug a USB dongle in to the USB port then pair a bluetooth headset to that BUT thats not what Polycom recommend and they know there phones so dont do it folks…(you have been warned!)
1. How to connect a wired Headset with RJ9 jack
First of all before we start if you do read the official Polycom user guide for the vvx 411 IP Phone then a standard wired headset is classed as an analogue headset . Just so you know
on the rear of the Phone there are several jacks But only one RJ 9 and this does have the headset icon above it so it really is as simple as just plugging the headset Jack into the RJ 9 slot.
let’s talk about standard wired headset use
When you first plug in your analogue wired headset the headset key should glow green in colour this is simply just to tell you it’s connected. After you connect a headset to your vvx 411 IP Phone you can set up your Phone to use the headset automatically when answering and placing calls
How to place or answer calls
How to enable your headset to answer all calls automatically
To use this feature, you must enable and activate Headset Memory Mode.
- Navigate to Settings > Basic > Preferences > Headset > Headset Memory.
- From the Headset Memory Mode screen, select Enabled.
- Press the headset key twice.The headset key flashes to indicate that Headset Memory Mode is now activated.
- All calls placed or answered on your phone use your headset automatically.
- Note:If you experience audio or echo issues during calls, such as feedback of your voice or of their own voice, you need to enable echo cancellation on your phone.
Top tip* Switching to the speakerphone or the handset deactivates headset memory mode, press the headset key twice to get back
2. How to connect a wired USB Headset with type A USB jack
Simply plug your USB wired headset into the only USB port at the back of the Phone. once USB headset is connected and in use the headset key on your front keypad will start to glow blue in colour.
Top tip 1* – if you use a USB headset and an analogue headset at the same time the USB headset is used automatically for all calls
Top tip 2*- If your phone does not detect the USB headset when you attach it to your phone, the USB port on your phone may be disabled. Contact your system administrator.
3. How to connect a wireless DECT Headset to your VVX 411
When using a wireless dect headset with or without an electronic hook switch or EHS as it’s called then please use your headset documentation and basic set up guide that came with your wireless headset.
Once you have your headset set up you may require the use of an electronic hook switch for remote answering. depending on the brand e.g. Sennheiser / EPOS, Jabra, Plantronics etc.
You will need to change the options for your specific headset model. these are:
change the headset mode to DHSG on the headset base unit. For details, refer to your headset documentation or contact Jabra support.
change the coarse receive level to 3 and the transmit level to B on the headset base unit. For details, refer to the guide that comes with your headset.
Sennheiser / EPOS headsets
set the first DIP switch labelled 1 (DHSG) to the down position on the back of the headset base unit. For additional details, see your headset’s documentation or contact Sennheiser / EPOS support.
4. How to enable EHS for Polycom VVX 411
After you set the base unit options for your headset and connect your headset to your phone, you can enable EHS.
- Connect your headset and EHS adapter to your phone.
- See the Quick Start Guide for your phone on Polycom Voice Support for information on connecting a headset to your phone.
- Navigate to Settings > Basic > Preferences > Headset > Hookswitch Mode.For VVX 1500 phones, navigate to Menu > Settings > Basic > Preferences > Headset > Hookswitch Mode.
- Select one of the below modes for your specific headset:
- Choose Jabra if an EHS-compatible Jabra headset is attached with an EHS cable or adapter.
- Choose Plantronics if an EHS-compatible Plantronics headset is attached with an EHS cable or adapter.
- Choose Sennheiser / EPOS if an EHS-compatible Sennheiser / EPOS headset is attached with an EHS cable or adapter.
- If your phone does not have a menu selection for Sennheiser / EPOS, select Jabra instead.
- Choose Regular Mode (default) if another headset is attached
Headsets4business have a dedicated page showing all types of compatible wired and wireless headsets for the VVX 411 IP Phone